Create Account  | Sign In
CruiseReportPonant Le Soleal1A cruise review of Ponant Le Soleal in Arctic
Reviewer  1
Was this review helpful?
Tell Your Story
Have you cruised with
  Le Soleal  
The Cruise From Hell
August 2018
Reviewer Rates This Cruise
Title: “The Destruction of a Veteran's Dream Vacation by Ponant Cruise Line, and How the Seattle Airport U.S. Customs Service & the Seattle Airport TSA Made It So Much Worse”

I am a USAF military retiree, 20 years active duty (in uniform) and 13 years as a contractor. In effect, 33 years of service to this country’s military. I am at present 67 years old, with a number of health issues including a left knee that collapses on me at times and very bad back problems. My wife is 4 years younger, basically in good health with the usual old age ailments. We’re both able to still get around pretty good.

Recently, I became interested in the historical search for THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE after watching a cable semi-historical series that centered on the British Royal Navy’s Franklin Expedition in the mid 1800’s which tried to find the way through but disappeared and was never heard from again. Amundson finally made it through in the early 1900’s. Some blame “global warming” on causing more ice melt so that a passage exists now in the North American summertime. In more recent years, the historical details of what happened to the two Franklin ships and their crews have come to light. I have also watched a number of documentaries on the Franklin Expedition, and my interest began to rise. So, when an opportunity to sail through THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE came up through the French cruise line Ponant, my wife and I booked passage. I was so excited, my wife not so much, but her enthusiasm increased as the cruise drew nearer. The itinerary was: 1)Fly to Paris on Aug 25-26, 2018, overnight in Paris the night of Aug 26th, and then fly on Aug 27th with a Ponant charter flight direct to Kangerlussuag on the west coast of Greenland; 2)Then cruise up the west coast of Greenland, enter THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE at its east entrance; 3)Sail through THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE; 4)Exit at the west exit of THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE, and then sail to Nome, Alaska; 5)Disembark the ship (Le Soleal) at Nome and board a charter flight Ponant had said they arranged to Seattle; 6)From Seattle we were on our own to arrange transportation to our home, which we did with American Airlines, to Dallas, and then connected to El Paso, TX. And, then drive 90 miles to our home in Alamogordo, NM, reaching it Sept 19, 2018. Yes, a long trip and it cost a bundle, but we figured we could still do it now because waiting was not a good idea because we’re now at the ages where one can get too sick to go or even die. This was also true of most of the other passengers.

The first sign of trouble came about two weeks before departure. It was a letter on Ponant letterhead stationery dated Aug 6th from someone named Emilie Soulte from Ponant's headquarters in Marseille, France. It informed us that the Ponant-advertised included nonstop flight from Paris to Kangerlussuag, Greenland, would not be nonstop after all, there would be a stopover in Copenhagen where we were told to get our luggage and go to the second flight. As it turned out, neither flight was a charter: the first one was Air France, and the second, Greenland Air. This change not only made the trip more arduous, but now we wouldn’t get to Kangerlussuag, Greenland, until close to midnight. Originally, we were supposed to board the ship between 6-8 pm. Ponant's letter, dated Aug 6th, blamed the change on the Kangerlussuag Airport authorities. This sounded fishy to me, so I contacted the Kangerlussuag airport directly via email, also sending them a copy of Ponant's letter.

Eventually, I got an email from the Kangerlussuag Airport Manager saying, yes, they were a small airport that could only handle one jet at a time, but he did not know what Ponant was talking about. He clearly suggested in his email that Ponant had not made the air arrangements soon enough and that was the cause of our stopover in Copenhagen. So, Ponant blames the Kangerlussuag airport. The airport manager blames Ponant's tardiness. Whom do I believe? No doubt, I believe the Kangerlussuag Airport Manager!! So, we get off at the Kangerlussuag airport, and get on buses which were supposed to take us to a dock to board the ship, Le Soleal. Most of the passengers were ecstatic at this point thinking we’d been through the worst of it and we would soon be aboard a luxury ship, The Le Soleal, and get to our cabins, fall on the beds and sleep for a long time. NOooo! By the way, we had seen no Ponant guides anywhere along the way to help us along and answer questions, etc. So, the buses drove for a long time on a road that was mostly not paved. We arrive at the “dock” which was really just a small slab of concrete littered with abandoned cargo containers, and there was a little dock area with a rickety wooden gangplank leading to a small ship of questionable integrity. The Le Soleal was anchored out in the bay. Note: most cruise lines are boarded at regular large docks where they are tied down and passengers walk onto the boat in some comfortable way. Anyway, it’s nearly midnight, it’s very cold and windy, and nearly 250 passengers are dumped out of the buses onto this cold concrete slab, and the buses skedaddled (left). No Ponant people around to direct us and tell us what’s going on. Eventually, the boat, which turned out to be a Le Soleal lifeboat, started loading people and left for the ship.

Myself and my wife did not make this first boat and were stranded on this rickety gangplank in the cold not knowing anything. The rest of the passengers were waiting on the concrete slab ”dock” in the cold not knowing anything about what’s going on. You’re thinking at this point: why weren’t the passengers allowed to stay in the warm buses and then called to the life boat when it was their turn to load? Nobody seems to know the answer to this. So, you’ve got a bunch of cold, uninformed passengers standing on this concrete slab or rickety gangplank while these slow small lifeboats ferry people to the Le Soleal. Not exactly luxury cruising as Ponant advertised. So, eventually my wife and I board a boat and are ferried to the Le Soleal where we were greeted by Captain Patrick Marchesseau. He and the rest of the crew seemed unaware of the conditions his passengers had endured to get from the airport to the ship. I shook his hand and tried to tell him, but he seemed unconcerned and hustled me along, seeming to be more interested in glad-handing the next passenger, etc. Same was true of the rest of the officer crew who were in a small room behind the captain where they were serving welcoming appetizers and champagne. We went to our cabin, fell on our beds without any unpacking, and slept late into the next morning. The next morning, with a good night’s sleep and food in our stomachs, the world seemed brighter. We thought now we were through the worst of it. NOooo! At first it seemed all was well. We sailed up the west coast of Greenland making the scheduled stops. Then we crossed Baffin Bay and entered THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE at its eastern entrance.

Once inside THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE, at first things went well. But then, at 9:30 pm ship's time on Sept 3rd, the captain called all the guests together in this little theater they had and announced that we were not going further west into THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE because the western exit into the Beaufort Sea was blocked with ice. He said that no Canadian Ice Breaker Ship could be spared because they were all being used on cargo ships. Does it seem odd that cargo ships took priority over a cruise ship filled with 250 guests, plus whatever the size of the crew was? Might it be that, again, Ponant had not coordinated soon enough with the Canadian Coast Guard? I don’t know, I guess the Canadian Coast Guard is the only one that can answer that question. The captain further said that we were going to turn around, cross Baffin Bay to the west coast of Greenland, stopping at “new” places and arriving back in Kangerlussuag (where we started) on Sept 18th the same day we were supposed to arrive in Nome. This point/date is significant, so please note them. Well, the passengers were up in arms. Some passengers had to book two years ahead of time. The main purpose of most of the passengers was to sail through THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE, not see scenery, wild life, etc. Most of the passengers were in their 60s and older, so this was their one and only chance to go through THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE. One male passenger asked the captain, “Well, if we can’t get through, why we don’t just sail straight back to Kangerlussuag instead of floating around Baffin Bay for 15 days?” No, the captain said, we’re doing what I said and not arriving in Kangerlussuag until Sept 18th. Another passenger asked, “Why don’t we sail down the east coast of the Canadian Artic where we hadn’t been before?” The Captain said no, we were sailing across Baffin Bay, back to the west coast of Greenland, where we’d just been, and arriving in Kangerlussuag (our point of origin) on Sept 18th. Another passenger asked if there were not any other ice breaker ships available that could get us through, or one that might sail east into the west exit of THE NORTHWEST PASSAGE and then create a passage to get us through to the Beaufort Sea? "NO," the captain said. So, we floated around Baffin Bay for 15 days!! Florence, the expedition team’s leader, “invented” places for us to stop over the next 15 days, but they were all the same: barren tundra, made up mostly of large and small rocks, and soft green mossy plants that your foot sank into when stepped on. I fell more than a few times. Another passenger broached a theory to me, which I believe to be correct, that the reason the ship was not going straight back to Kangerlussuag was that, if it did, then Ponant would have to give us refunds. By floating around Baffin Bay and not arriving back to Kangerlussuag until Sept 18, Ponant could say they gave us the advertised number of days on the ship, and refuse refunds. I believe firmly that this passenger’s theory was correct. And sure enough, a letter arrived to us on Sept 24th from Marseille, France, (Ponant's headquarters) saying there would be no refunds, but they offered a 20% discount on our next sailing with them.

What makes them think that we, or most of the other passengers, will ever book with Ponant again??? We will not. I had asked for a full refund. Another female passenger asked if Ponant knew before we left home that we couldn’t get through and just did this charade to prevent giving refunds. Because if they’d done the right and moral thing and cancelled the cruise before we left home, they’d definitely have to give us full refunds. Knowing Ponant the way I do now, I believe this is also a good possibility. As I said, Ponant recently sent us a letter denying any (zero) refunds. At the end of this meeting, I was not convinced the captain realized the gravity of the situation of sailing back to Kangerlussuag was for the English speaking passengers—i.e. all the passengers had made plans to go on from Seattle. I was afraid that Ponant would simply book a charter flight back to Paris, dump us all off at the Paris airport, and wash their hands of us. And, yes, I believe that is something Ponant would do! Now, flying back to Paris was okay for the French-speaking passengers, but it would be terrible for all the English-speaking passengers who had made plans to go on from Seattle. I simply wanted to speak with the captain to make sure he understood the plight of the English-speaking passengers, but after the announcement, he was mobbed and so I decided to wait until the next day. Note: even though this was a French cruise line, only about a third of the passengers were French. Two-thirds were English speaking, a lot of Australian and some Americans like my wife and me. So, the first thing I did the next morning was call the customer service desk and ask that an appointment be arranged with me and the captain so I could communicate these concerns. I never got a call back. Later, that day I decided to go up to the bridge and see if I could speak with him there. On the way, I ran into the captain and Florence in a hallway. I told him I wanted to speak to him, but he said he was too busy running the ship and he couldn’t talk to me now. He and Florence literally ran away from me into a restricted part of the ship leading to the bridge where I couldn’t follow. Well, I knew that day they were allowing ordinary passengers to be on the bridge and watch. Supposedly, there was an ice breaker ship leading us through this part of the trip. So, I entered the passengers’ entrance to the bridge and stood in a place where I could observe everything but not get into the way of the crew. I stood in that spot observing everything including how really busy the captain was. Here's what I observed with my own eyes and ears: The captain was sitting in a plush chair with a large circular computer screen in front of him. There were two crew members to his left and another officer with an identical computer screen who, I assume, was his second-in-command and between them was a person (not an officer) who actually drove the ship. The driver had a joy stick in front of him which I assume controlled the rudder and thus the direction of the ship. On either side of this joy stick there were two levers with handles on them which I think controlled the two propellers which, when pulled towards the driver, slowed down or stopped that propeller, and when pushed forward sped up the propeller up to their maximum at fully forward. I assume that if the captain wasn’t at his post, the second officer could control the boat from his station. I also saw the alleged ice breaker ship which looked more like a tug boat and was not breaking any ice anyway because there was none to break. I stood there for a whole hour watching everything and there was no ice to break, just small pieces of sea ice floating by. The bridge was calm and the captain did not seem very busy. There was an exit behind the captain which, I assumed, led to his office. My plan was to watch when the captain was attempting to leave his chair and go down this exit to his office, and ask him if he had time now. The captain knew I was watching him, and when I briefly looked away, he got up and ran down the exit. I tried to follow, but two members of the crew stopped me. It was obvious to me that the captain did not want to talk to me. Why, I don’t know. SO, I resorted to a little subterfuge to get his attention and grant me an audience. And, it worked. I got a call in my cabin from the captain himself requesting a meeting in his office (which is all I wanted in the first place). He sent the Hotel Manager to our cabin, and he escorted my wife and I to the captain’s office. I sat immediately across the desk from him looking him in the eyes. Also present was the ship's doctor, I guess to determine if I was crazy. Well, sitting eye-to-eye with the captain, I simply explained my concerns, which is all I wanted to do from the beginning. He told me that Ponant was arranging to have two jets at the Kangerlussuag airport. One would take the French passengers to Paris, and the other to take the English speaking passengers to Seattle in time to make all their connections. He asked me if this reassured me, and I said yes and no. I told him that if this was Silversea cruise line I would have no doubt that they would take care of us properly. But not so with Ponant. I told him I did not trust Ponant at all. He reassured me that what he told me would happen, and the meeting ended.

Wow, talk about having to pull teeth. Note: the communication between the French officer crew of the Le Soleal and the English-speaking passengers was terrible, and this was what caused most of the problems, distrust, and anger. Most of the English-speaking people I talked to were of the opinion that the French always got preference even though they only made up a third of the passengers. Another odd thing happened during one of these “15 floating” days. Usually, in the late afternoon or early evening, there would be a briefing in the theater about the next day’s activities. Florence, the head of the expedition team, would usually start these briefs. One day she started the briefing by accusing some supposedly drunken passengers of both malicious mischief and graffiti. Passenger’s expedition boots were kept outside the cabin on a mat there for that purpose. The idea was, that way you don’t drag what’s still on your boots from being ashore into your cabin. So, she said that some passengers, who had too much to drink, took some boots and put them into a crew elevator as a prank. She also said that that night some passengers also did two instances of graffiti somewhere on the ship. Now, I was skeptical of her opinion that it was the passengers that did these two pranks. Remember, most of the passengers were 60 or older, fit old people, but old. Is it likely that this age group would do pranks like this? I thought not. This is the type of thing that younger people do. She was sure it was not the crew. The command and officer parts of the French crew were very young. Captain Marchesseau was probably in his 40s. The rest of the French officers were in their 20s, and the rest of the crew, both the people you see and the people you don’t regularly see, were also very young. She said they had videos from cameras in the areas and were going to identify the culprits. I decide to volunteer my services to review the videos as a service to both the passengers and the crew. So, at the end of the briefings, I went up to Florence and volunteered my services. Surprisingly, she turned me down, and kept walking away from me as I tried to talk to her more. What does that tell you? You be the judge. So, we floated around Baffin Bay near the west coast of Greenland for 15 days, arrived at Kangerlussuag early on Sept 18th, and then flew a charter aircraft Ponant had arranged from the Kangerlussuag airport to Seattle. When we got off the plane in Seattle, we were so happy to be back in our own country, the good old USA. We thought the worst was behind us. BUT NOooo!

How the U.S. Customs services mistreated us: Our charter flight arrived at the Seattle Airport about 2: 20 pm local time. My wife and I walked slowly in the direction of customs, but because of my knee and back, we ended up being one of the last of the charter plane passengers to enter the customs room. The first place we were directed was into a “roped” off area with these kiosks where you slide in your passports (USA passports in our cases), it took a picture of our faces and asked us a number of other questions. When we were done, two slips about the size of a boarding pass were spit out by the machines. These slips told you where to go next. If your slip had no big X on it, you went to the US Passport holder’s- only screening area which, by the way, was empty of passengers. If your slip had a big X, you went into a different line, which was also the line where non-US citizens were sent. This line was long and slow, and we were at the end of it because of my disabilities. So, I wondered why my wife and I had Xs on our slips and had to go through this long line and not the US Passport holders'-only line which was empty of passengers. After all, we both were born in the USA citizens and I was a decorated veteran who had given a large part of his life in service to this country. No one I asked knew why we had an X on our slips. I even asked one of the guys (Caucasian, bald, no glasses, probably in his 30s) who was manning the empty US Passport holders-only line, AND he said he didn’t know and he said he couldn’t take us out of this long line and process us through his station. Finally, after about 45 minutes, we finally got to the head of the line for Xs and stood in front of a real human female customs agent. She processes us through very quickly and politely. I asked her why there were X’s on my and my wife’s slips.

She said she did not know the answer. Our next flight wasn’t until 12:15 am Sept 19th (the next day). So, with all of this time on my hands, I decided to find the main office of the US Customs Service and did. I talked to the ranking officer present at the airport at the time. He also did not know why my wife and I had Xs on our customs slip. I’d still like to know the answer to that question. During my wanderings around the airport during this time, I happened upon the USO room. I’d been in many airport USO rooms over the years, but this one surprised me. It was the largest USO room I’d ever seen and it was packed. I decided not to go in and add to the massive number of military people of all services, ranks, and family members already inside. But, later I did wonder why this USO room was so large and so packed. Is the atmosphere of the Seattle Airport so toxic to military people that they seek sanctuary in the USO room? Maybe?? Well, anyway we were through customs, on US soil, and the worst was over. BUT NOooo! We still had to go through the TSA. 

How the Seattle TSA Disrepected Us & Abused Us for No Good Reason: At about 8:30 pm we checked our luggage with American Airlines and got our boarding passes. I was delighted to see that both said “TSA Precheck” which should have meant an easy and quick trip through TSA security and the TSA Station (I think #7) which was right next to AA. So, my wife and I hobbled over to the security area, and we saw a sign that said “TSA Precheck” with an open gate right there which we went through dragging our carry-ons and parkas. Inside the open gate there were two podiums with TSA agents behind each, a female and a male. They both had just finished checking two people, so we walked up to them. Let me say, at this point, that at this time, the TSA Station was empty with no one in the up and down waiting lines. Great I thought, TSA Precheck and no lines—Hurrah! This will be quick and easy. We hadn’t slept basically for two days, so this was good!? BUT, NOooo! We stepped up to the podiums and the male agent told us we had gone through the employees' gate and that we had to walk down to the real entrance 50 feet away, then back 50 feet, and stand right where we were already standing now. Male agent: Caucasian, less than 6 feet tall, no glasses, short military haircut, probably mid-20s. So, we struggled the extra 100 feet and ended up where we’d just been, but the male agent was gone. The female agent quickly and courteously checked us through. I asked her where the male agent was, and she pointed down to where the conveyor belt was that led into the x-ray box. Was he waiting there for us to rub it in, to show us that he was boss? As I walked by him with his rigid stance and smirk on his face, I called him a “Jackass” because he was for making us two old people walk that extra way and not just being nice and checking us when we first blundered through the OPEN employee gate. He got very hostile and would not let us put our carry-on luggage into the bins and onto the conveyor belt. I asked to speak to his supervisor. Soon, a very large, tall man aggressively walked up to us. He was Caucasian, bald, no glasses, and well over 6 feet tall, and “the I’m going to show you that I’m the boss” type. He angrily told us he did not like me calling his subordinate a “Jackass.” The conversation quickly escalated to where I asked to speak to the highest ranking TSA agent on duty at the time. We went through the screening process successfully and met the ranking TSA person at the airport at that time. He was a short, stocky, black man. He politely listened to our complaints, and said he would talk to the two agents we’d had problems with. But, he seemed more concerned that I’d disrespected his agents than how they treated my wife and me. Now, I believe in sticking up for your people, except when you shouldn’t. Having worked in the military and the government for as long as I have, in my opinion, these two Caucasian TSA agents are not mentally stable, and someday they will do something much more serious to someone. Is the TSA so desperate for people that they’d hire “skinheads?” Wow, what a welcome home for a vet and his wife, and maybe that was why these two Caucasian TSA agents where so hostile to us. I realized later that I was wearing a T-shirt that identified me as a Veteran and military retiree. Anyway, we got home, but these experiences with Ponant, the US Customs Service, and TSA so traumatized us that we are having nightmares about the experiences.

My Conclusions: 1) I will never cruise with Ponant again even if they offered me free cruises for life, and 2) I will never fly into or out of the Seattle Airport again.

 Add Your Comments Below
Your Name
Open the calendar popup.
Your Email (optional - if you would like a personal response)
Note: Comments may not appear for up to 24 hours.




Copyright ©2002-2018 PITA, LLC dba CruiseReport. All rights reserved.
Home  | Cruise Reviews  | Cruise Blog  | Facebook  | Twitter  | YouTube  | News  | Articles  
About Us  | Advertise with us   | Privacy Policy  | Terms of Use  | Contact Us   |  5/24/2019 9:47:45 AM