Travel agents report interest from three very different types of clients: politically aware travellers who want to show support for the democracy movement, returning guests who want to be among the first to see the newly-restored Avenue of the Sphinxes in Luxor, and first-time travellers attracted by the exceptional values.
Considered one of the most important archaeological sites in the world, the Avenue of the Sphinxes is a 2.6 km ceremonial walkway between the Temple of Luxor and the Temple of Karnak that is lined by hundreds of newly-uncovered and restored stone sphinxes with the head of a man and the body of a lion.
The additional guaranteed cruise/tour dates are spread throughout 2012:
- Five additional departures of Egypt Unveiled, an 11-day itinerary featuring the historic Mena House Oberoi and the Four Seasons Cairo, with a 4-night Nile cruise aboard the luxurious ‘Sun Boat IV’ (Jan 26 – Feb 05, Mar 15 – 25, May 3 – 13, May 17 – 27, May 31 – Jun 10 from $2,595).
- Two additional 2012 departures of an itinerary inspired by the Arab Spring, Egypt: A Moment in History (Aug 30 – Sep 9 and Oct 25 – Nov 4 from $1,725). Explore the wonders of Cairo and nearby Giza, including the Pyramids, the Great Sphinx and the treasures of Tutankhamun in the Egyptian Museum. Fly south to Luxor and 'Sun Boat IV,' your floating home on the Nile for four nights, where an Egyptologist introduces you to the river's extraordinary temples and monuments.
- Two additional departures of Splendors of the Nile, which includes a four-night Nile River cruise and private access to the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities and the tomb of Seti I, the longest and most ornate in the Valley of the Kings (Jun 21 – Jul 1 and Sep 27 – Oct 7 from $3,435).
- An additional departure of Pharaohs & Pyramids, a more relaxed itinerary which features a seven-night cruise aboard Sun Boat III and includes private openings of the Egyptian Museum of Antiquities and the exquisitely-decorated tomb of Nefertari in the Valley of the Queens. (Jun 12-25from $4,415).
- Two additional departures of A&K’s Egypt family program – Pyramids, Mummies & Temples (Apr 2-10, Jun 25-Jul 3 from $2,335). History comes alive in Egypt's temples, fortresses and ruins. See Tutankhamun's mummy in his tomb, don galabeyyas (traditional robes) at a costume party on board 'Sun Boat IV' and tackle a challenging family scavenger hunt through a bustling, colorful bazaar. Meanwhile, see a pyramid inside and out, and ride a donkey along the Nile.
Abercrombie & Kent’s deep roots and long-established relationships make it possible to offer a degree of access and insight in Egypt no other operator can match. Guests travel with an experienced Egyptologist who explains the fascinating theories and scientific truths behind the monuments left by this ancient civilization. While other companies sometimes claim that the independent offices they subcontract are their own, only Abercrombie & Kent has on-site offices in Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Sharm el Sheikh, Abu Simbel and Alexandria.
Pricing varies by departure date and cabin category.